Virgin and Child in polychrome terracotta.... - Lot 45 - Pierre Bergé & Associés

Lot 45
Got to lot
Estimation :
2000 - 3000 EUR
Result with fees
Result : 9 750EUR
Virgin and Child in polychrome terracotta.... - Lot 45 - Pierre Bergé & Associés
Virgin and Child in polychrome terracotta.
Mary is seated, carrying the naked Child lying on her lap, who is clutching a bird in her right hand; youthful face with fine features, surrounded by a veil with knotted ends; she is clothed in a dress girdled below the chest and a cloak with the panels coming back to the front of the knees, forming harmonious, deep, broken folds
Italy, Florence, after Benedetto da Maiano (1442-1497), late 15th/early 16th century Height: 33 cm
Collection label (some wear to the polychromy of the face)
Provenance: former collection of Dr Otto Lanz (1865-1935), Amsterdam
Warren, Sculptures in Stone, Clay, Ivory, Bone and Wood, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, T II, 2014, cat. 120 and 121.
Link: https://www.lootedart.com/news.php?r=OWX3 5H734651
A renowned Swiss surgeon, Otto Lanz is known to have amassed an important collection of paintings and art objects, mainly from the Italian Renaissance, during the first part of his life. He ended his career as a professor of surgery in Amsterdam where he died in 1935. Earlier, he had sought to sell his collection to the Rijksmuseum, which had been exhibiting a number of his objects since 1906. He also loaned 122 of his paintings to the city's Stedelijk Museum for an exhibition from June to October 1934. During the war, his heirs were forced to sell the collection to Hitler, who acquired it for his Führermuseum project in Linz, after long and complex negotiations, for 2 million Swiss francs and 350,000 guilders. After the capitulation, the collection was returned to the Dutch state. A large part of the works was returned to the Rijksmuseum, others were dispersed to various museums, and finally a certain number, judged at the time to be of lesser importance, were sold at auction, including, most probably, this beautiful Madonna from the end of the quattrocento.
This polychrome terracotta Madonna is inspired by the models of Benedetto da Maiano, a woodcarver by training. He began working with his brother, the architect Giuliano da Maiano, and later perfected his skills in the workshop of Antonio Rossellino. His Madonnas, imbued with great gentleness, show young girls' faces with delicate features, slit eyes and a sharp chin, as shown here. The composition is inspired by stucco Madonnas attributed to him, such as the one in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (WA 1888 .CDEF.S22, fig.a) with the veil tied over the chest, or another in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston (inv. S27w9, fig. b), showing a very similar position of the Child and a gown girdled high below the chest.
My orders
Sale information
Sales conditions
Return to catalogue